[Dnsmasq-discuss] AAAA record for self with dynamically delegated prefix?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu May 16 20:26:46 BST 2013

On 16/05/13 18:22, Jordan Webb wrote:
> My provider (Comcast) offers native IPv6 and prefix delegations. I
> backported a few packages from OpenWRT trunk to stable, added this to
> the dnsmasq.conf that is being generated:
>
> dhcp-range=::1,constructor:br-lan,slaac,ra-names,64
>
> …and ta-da, everything works great. All my machines have v6 addresses
> in the prefix now, I can visit ipv6.google.com from my LAN, and
> thanks to ra-names, dnsmasq even serves up AAAA records for all the
> machines on my network.
>
> Except for one.
>
> I can't figure out how to get dnsmasq to serve up an AAAA record for
> its own IPv6 address on the LAN, that is to say, to have "router.lan"
> resolve to the ::1 of the dynamically delegated prefix that dnsmasq
> picked up off br-lan. Is it possible?

It _should_ be possible. The configuration would look like

interface-name=router.lan, br-lan

except that interface-name only handles IPv4 addresses and A records.
Darn. That really should be fixed, and, to be honest, I was surprised to
find it wasn't. I was sure I'd extended the code, maybe I'm just
remembering noticing that I should extend it.

Anyway, expect a git commit in the next day or two. Best I can do for
now, sorry.