[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq configuration for ipv6

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 17 11:12:05 BST 2013

On 15/05/13 21:22, Andy Ruddock wrote:

> Using Debian wheezy.
>
> I'm using hurricane electric for my ipv6 tunnel, which works fine for
> statically configured hosts.
> I've also tried radvd and got hosts to autoconfigure themselves.
>
> As I'm using dnsmasq for ipv4 address allocation I thought it would be
> nice to also distribute ipv6 configuration.
>
> I see that dnsmasq requires a duid to determine the address to pass
> back - but how do I configure this duid.
> If I manually execute dhclient -6 then I get a duid passed to dnsmasq,
> but it changes frequently, so I can't paste it into my dnsmasq conf
> and use that.
>
> As it stands dnsmasq does pass an address back, and the host works as
> expected, but it's not the address I configured.

This is protocol problem: it would been much better to give the option
to use MAC addresses like DHCPv4, but that option is not available.

As for the duid, that's really a client question. On my systems using
dhclient, it's at least stable, and is stored in
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient6.leases (look for default-duid). The spec says
that the DUID should be stable (and the same for all interfaces on a host).

A possible workaround is to use the hostname instead: if you configure
your client to send a hostname, using the fqdn DHCP option, you can use
that in dhcp-host to nail an address.