[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq configuration for ipv6

Andy Ruddock andy.ruddock at rainydayz.org
Fri May 17 19:48:25 BST 2013

Simon Kelley wrote:
> On 15/05/13 21:22, Andy Ruddock wrote:
>>
>> Using Debian wheezy.
>>
>> I'm using hurricane electric for my ipv6 tunnel, which works fine
>> for statically configured hosts. I've also tried radvd and got
>> hosts to autoconfigure themselves.
>>
>> As I'm using dnsmasq for ipv4 address allocation I thought it
>> would be nice to also distribute ipv6 configuration.
>>
>> I see that dnsmasq requires a duid to determine the address to
>> pass back - but how do I configure this duid. If I manually
>> execute dhclient -6 then I get a duid passed to dnsmasq, but it
>> changes frequently, so I can't paste it into my dnsmasq conf and
>> use that.
>>
>> As it stands dnsmasq does pass an address back, and the host
>> works as expected, but it's not the address I configured.
>>

> This is protocol problem: it would been much better to give the
> option to use MAC addresses like DHCPv4, but that option is not
> available.
>
> As for the duid, that's really a client question. On my systems
> using dhclient, it's at least stable, and is stored in
> /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient6.leases (look for default-duid). The spec
> says that the DUID should be stable (and the same for all
> interfaces on a host).
>

> A possible workaround is to use the hostname instead: if you
> configure your client to send a hostname, using the fqdn DHCP
> option, you can use that in dhcp-host to nail an address.

After reading the archives & following the advice of Christof Meerwald
I downloaded 2.66. Built .debs of that rather than just install from
source and installed.

Seems to work fine now.

One problem is getting the client to release the spurious IPv6 address
it was first given. Surprisingly easier on a Win XP machine.

Cheers,

- --
Andy Ruddock
andy.ruddock at rainydayz.org (OpenPGP Key ID 0xB0324245)