[Dnsmasq-discuss] IP <-> Mac relation instead of IP <-> Machine?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Aug 16 11:08:54 BST 2013

[apologies for breaking threading: my email client seems to have eaten
the original message.]

 >Im using dnsmasq for offering IP-addresses to pxe-client, which
 >chainloads "undionly.kpxe" from the ipxe-project.

 >Unfortunatly the dnamasq gives different IP-addresses, depending of
 >bios-pxe or ipxe is asking.

 >Is it possible, to bind the relationship of IPs only to mac? NB: I dont
 >want to have a _fix_ scheme, which i have to include by hand; I want,
 >that the dnsmasq gives forever the IP, which he gave at the first time.
 >Is this possible?

My guess is that the two clients are provinding different client-ids,
and therefore being treated as different clients by dnsmasq. If that's
the case adding

id:* to the dhcp-host line that specifies the MAC address and IP should
solve the problem by telling dnsmasq to ignore the client-id.