[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple subnets without IP aliases

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Wed Aug 21 16:34:56 BST 2013

I have a layer 2 vlan (all hosts in the same broadcast domain), that has
multiple subnets active on it.  For example:

interface ve 906
  ip address 10.0.5.113 255.255.255.248
  ip address 10.0.6.105 255.255.255.248

I have a machine with this configuration:

br0      inet addr:10.0.6.110  Bcast:10.0.6.111 Mask:255.255.255.248

I'd like to serve addresses from both subnets from this machine

I've found that I can do this if the machine running DNSMasq has an IP
address in both subnets, but this is somewhat of a waste of IP
addresses.  Is it possible to serve DHCP to both subnets without having
an IP address on the machine in both subnets?

Before I added the IP alias, I was seeing this:

dnsmasq-dhcp[5848]: 3598047279 available DHCP subnet:
10.0.6.104/255.255.255.248

DNSMasq wasn't even seeing the other subnet as being available.

Once I added the alias, it did work properly:

dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: 1867860253 available DHCP subnet:
10.0.5.112/255.255.255.248
dnsmasq-dhcp[5952]: 1867860253 available DHCP subnet:
10.0.6.104/255.255.255.248

Renumbering the network isn't an option.