[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 Prefix delegation

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 12:08:52 BST 2013

On 07/10/13 22:18, mudrunka at spoje.net wrote:
> Hello,
> is it possible to do prefix delegation using DHCPv6 in dnsmasq?

No.

> I'd really like to do this. i am using dnsmasq to successfully serve
> network with 2000+ clients, but now i need to support IPv6 too, but all
> of these client router devices (running Mikrotik RouterOS) does not
> understand DHCPv6 address assignment, they only understand DHCPv6 prefix
> delegation (and if they need single address, they just take it from
> delegated prefix). And i don't even need such thing as assigning single
> address as i have link-local adresses and SLAAC. What i really need is
> prefix delegation.
>
> I've tried this:
>
> dhcp-host=id:00:03:00:01:00:0c:42:8c:3b:06,[2001:67c:2142:1a01::1/64],lol,300
>

> and the RouterOS DHCPv6 client completely ignored it... Is it possible
> to get prefix delegation feature in dnsmasq?

The original thought was that it wouldn't be required for the sort of
use-case dnsmasq is designed for. A small router would _receive_ and
delegation, and then hand out addresses from the range. Given that the
IETF homenet WG seems to be moving towards recursive PD within a
homenet, this may have to change. I don't anticipate it happening soon
enough to solve your immediate problem though. Sorry.