[Dnsmasq-discuss] CNAME problem in 2.67?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Oct 28 13:22:08 GMT 2013

On 26/10/13 20:59, Peter Mattern wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there's imho a problem affecting CNAMEs in dnsmasq 2.67.
> I stumbled across this on ArchLinux i686 running the distro's version
> and thereupon did some tests on another ArchLinux box without the
> distro's package, where I installed dnsmasq 2.66 or 2.67 from the
> sources by make && make install, used dnsmasq.conf.example from the
> archive changing only the settings mentioned below and ran dnsmasq
> simply as dnsmasq -k. The upstream nameserver was IPv4 only.
>
> So say /etc/hosts contains an entry
> 10.1.2.3 foo.bar.invalid
> and in dnsmasq.conf there are
> local=/bar.invalid/
> cname=bar.invalid,foo.bar.invalid
> then both foo.bar.invalid and bar.invalid will be resolved just fine
> after (re-) starting dnsmasq. In the log, there's
> query[A] bar.invalid from 127.0.0.1
> config bar.invalid is <CNAME>
> But if I simply ssh to another host (other triggers untested), dnsmasq
> will not resolv bar.invalid any longer. This time, the log says
> query[A] bar.invalid from 127.0.0.1
> config bar.invalid is NXDOMAIN-IPv4
> query[A] bar.invalid.<domain> from 127.0.0.1
> forwarded bar.invalid.<domain> to <IP>
> where <domain> corresponds to the domain line in resolv.conf and IP is
> the one from the upstream name server.
> As a side note I was wondering if the latter forwarding, or actually
> adding the domain, shouldn't have been prevented by the said local
> option.
>
> 2.66 didn't show this behaviour.
> If more information should be needed, please let me know.
>
> Regards.

I can't quite reproduce the exact behaviour you're seeing, I think there
should be some AAAA queries in there somewhere. I'm pretty sure I've
found the problem, which is that dnsmasq is returning NXDOMAIN to an
AAAA query for bar.invalid when it should be returning NODATA.

Please could you try

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/test-releases/dnsmasq-2.68test1.tar.gz

and see if it fixes the problem?