[Dnsmasq-discuss] DhcpV6 how to send prefixlen and default route (dnsmasq: to exclusive) (dnsmasq: to exclusive)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Nov 25 11:27:34 GMT 2013

On 24/11/13 16:59, dnsmasq.bertrandb at dfgh.net wrote:
> Le 23/11/2013 23:01, dnsmasq.bertrandb at dfgh.net a écrit :
>> Le 23/11/2013 15:06, dnsmasq.bertrandb at dfgh.net a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Alwas some problems with my /97 prefix ...
>>>
>>> on the client side dhclient say the prefix is /64
>> dhclient hardcode the 64 prefix len :(
>>

> Hello finally my configuration dhcpv6 work fine with dibbler-client on
> debian.
> We juste need to add
>
> inactive-mode
> strict-rfc-no-routing
>
> at the begin of /etc/dibbler/client.conf an no inet6 configuration in
> /etc/network/interfaces

That's useful information, many thanks for persisting with this.

I think the client problem comes from the fact that the prefix length
doesn't appear anywhere in the DHPCv6 protocol. A DHCP client has to
listen for router advertisments as well to find out what the prefix
length should be.  I don't understand why the protocol is like that.

Tomasz, who wrote Dibbler, now works for the ISC, so maybe you should
ask him to fix dhclient, as he's on the scene, and clearly knows how to
do it properly :)