[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP over a wireless bridge

John Kaye john at sparkisys.com
Wed Jan 8 02:11:53 GMT 2014

Hi All,

I'm developing a transparent wireless bridge for a client who
manufactures printers. The printers connect through the Ethernet side of
the bridge and the wireless side of the bridge associates with an AP.

The AP will reject frames from the printers because their source address
is different from the source address that is associated with the AP; to
resolve that, ebtables is used to snat the source address of the frames
from the printers, and everything flows.

Everything flows nicely when the printers are configured with static
IPs. When the printers are configured to use DHCP, the AP never delivers
an IP, even though it receives a discovery request from the printers. I
assume the AP doesn't respond because the DCHP DISCOVER frame has the
client mac address encoded within it, which doesn't match the address
that it is associated with, so it's ignored. Does that sound correct?

To enable the printers to get IP addresses from the AP, it would seem
that a DHCP relay proxy of some sort would need be to implemented to run
on the bridge. The proxy would relay DHCP requests to the AP and return
addresses to the printers. Does that sounds feasible?

If my assumptions are correct, can dnsmasq be configured as a DHCP relay
proxy? If so, are there examples of how it can be done?

If my assumptions are not correct (which I imagine they are),  are there
other options?

I truly appreciate any guidance. My networking knowledge is limited,
though it is growing by leaps and bounds!

Cheers,
-John