[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.62-3 as DHCPv6-Server and RA-Server: Bug sending router's link-local instead of global address as gateway and DNS-server?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 22:28:50 GMT 2014

On 21/01/14 13:02, Martin Babutzka wrote:
> Thanks for the replies! I hesitantly updated to dnsmasq-2.68 since I
> first wanted to stick to the version provided with Debian wheezy. The
> quiet-options really reduce the amount of syslog messages except for:
> "dnsmasq-dhcp[23663]: no address range available for DHCPv6 request via
> eth5"
> Concerning the link-local addresses it actually looks like this is the
> default when advertising gateways in local networks. Unfortunately other
> software to proxy/relay dhcpv6 and ra can not handle it properly. It is
> basically possible to also advertise the routers global address (see
> here: http://www.macfreek.nl/memory/Non-Local_IPv6_Router_Advertisement
> and the RFC here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6275#section-7.2 ). Is
> this option also available in dnsmasq? In radvd it is called
> "AdvRouterAddr on;".

There are two different thinks here: the router address and the DNS
server address.

I think that the router address is always taken as the source address of
the RA packets, and therefore has to be link-local.

The DNS server address is advertised as the global address in DHCPv6 and
the link-local address in RA, by default.

You can force a particular address in RA and DHCpv6 by using
dhcp-option, indeed you can specify the option is all zeros to specify
the global address. This applies to both DHCPv6 and RA so

dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]

will force the dhcpv6 DNS address to be the global address (no change)
and the RA DNS address to be the same, which is what you want, I think.

The next release adds the ability to specify link-local, ULA or global
addresses.