[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-broadcast & not

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 17:06:02 UTC 2014

On 20/02/14 08:01, Nikita N. wrote:
> Hi, sorry but didnt get the feedback for my query.
> Maybe you Simon can you give me a hint?
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014, at 06:36 AM, Nikita N. wrote:
>> Hi All :)
>> long time ago I shared with you an issue regarding dnsmasq used on
>> wireless nets.
>> Finally I believe I found a possible cause for that.
>> By now I have been testing using many different devices and Os, windows
>> clients, linux, android, windows phones, and so on.
>> Well, what I found is that, they somehow all behave differently
>> regarding the DHCP specs :)
>> Specifically, I found that some clients answer DHCP only when the dhcp
>> frames are sent BROADCAST.
>> While other clients answer only if the frames are sent directed to the
>> specific STA.
>> So in very practical, for some clients I must set the option
>> "dhcp-broadcast", for others NOT.
>>
>> I wander if dnsmasq has another option to send 2 identical frames, where
>> only the ETH dest field different: source MAC and FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.
>> Yes, how to instruct dnsmasq to send two, 2 same DHCP frames where the
>> ETH dest is the source MAC for one frame, and FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF for the
>> duplicate?

It would be possible to do that, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

All the clients are quite common, and in use all around the world, if
there was a general problem with this, we'd probably have heard about it
by now.

The client can set a bit in the request packets to ask the server to
reply using broadcast, which will work automatically without needing
configuration.

It seems likely that the problem is something in your network, rather
than the DHCP clients or servers.