[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-broadcast & not

Nikita N. nikitan at operamail.com
Fri Feb 21 09:07:43 UTC 2014

> All the clients are quite common, and in use all around the world, if
> there was a general problem with this, we'd probably have heard about it
> by now.
Hi, well you are hearing it now :)

> It seems likely that the problem is something in your network, rather
> than the DHCP clients or servers.
While I was waiting for a feedback, I tried to workaround the issue
myself.
I tried to have a look to your code, and understood that maybe also
there its needed just a flag bit to switch in the kernel.. but didnt
modify nothing, didnt feel enough skilled to modify your code.. ;)
Instead I modified the code at transportation layer, the software which
actually sends the frames up in the air.
Very simply, I instructed it to duplicate all frames with
dest=broadcast, setting dest=sta mac.
It works perfectly with *ALL* my test clients so far, also the ones
affected by the dhcp-broadcast issue.
Of course as you can understand by yourself, its a dirty workaround, as
it works only in very simple cases, e.g. it does *NOT* work in the case
of multiple concurrent connections.
So it doesnt seem to me a problem in my network, but rather a glitching
bug in some wireless drivers..

Thanks anyway, and keep on the good job! :)