[Dnsmasq-discuss] mdns support

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 23:12:42 UTC 2014

As an outgrowth of the ietf homenet working group, the homewrt folk
are attempting to blend together mdns, an mdns proxy, and improved
address allocation schemes with dnsmasq in openwrt. They could use
some more testers, coders, and help in general. I have long planned to
integrate their work in cerowrt, and ultimately, I hope their work
lands in openwrt and other operating systems.

I would certainly like it if everything hung together tighter than it
does at the moment.

Homwrt folk can be found on #hnet-hackers on irc.

The website is:

http://www.homewrt.org/

and the relevant drafts are on the dnssd and homenet wg pages.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dnssd/

I view (in the coming ipv6 era) getting addressing, naming, and
resource discovery right as pretty darn important, and the present
state of things is abominable... this appears to be a start towards
re-integrating mdns with regular dns:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-02

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.tolstov at selfip.ru> wrote:
>> From what I remember there was some discussion [1] in the past,
>> but not really any final decision...
>>
>> [1] http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2013q4/007753.html
>

> =(. I'm try to use avahi, but it dometimes not work, also i can't
> publish some addresses (process hang). And i thinkg that nss module
> not needed if normal dns server able to do mdns requests.
> Also avahi hardcore timeout for request to 5000msec, and ping
> xxx.local address  that does not have ptr record need every time
> timeout for 5 secods. As i see avahi not maintained (last release more
> than year ago).
>
> --
> Vasiliy Tolstov,
> e-mail: v.tolstov at selfip.ru