[Dnsmasq-discuss] Understanding the (g)PXE options

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jun 20 10:13:46 UTC 2014

On 19/06/14 23:32, mabra at manfbraun.de wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I am seeing configuration entries like this:
>
> dhcp-boot=net:#gpxe,gpxe.pxe
>
> and I am asking, what the misterious "net" is in this line.
> I am working since days to make some form of network
> boot going, without success ...

This is confusing, because the syntax changed in later releases, so if
you read up-to-date documentation, it's not well covered.

First, we translate to the later syntax, where your example becomes

dhcp-boot=tag:!gpxe,gxpe.pxe

Which means: use gpxe.pxe as the boot file only if the tag "gpxe" is NOT
set.

Somewhere else in you configuration, you should have something that sets
tag "gxpe" under certain conditions.

In the later syntax, this will be done by "set:gpxe", it might be
different in old config files.

Cheers

Simon.