[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq does not resolv *.org domains

Conrad Kostecki ck at conrad-kostecki.de
Thu Aug 14 21:47:42 BST 2014

Hi!
I am having a very strange problem. I am unable to resolve any *.org domains via DNSMasq.
My currently used DNSMasq is 2.72test3-7-g993f8cb. The problem happens only within DNSMasq.

Galactica # cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ::1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8844

As you see, there is localhost in first two lines defined and then the Google DNS servers, which DNSMasq should use.
It's pretty funny, that DNSMasq just says, it can't reach any server. But when I choose the Google DNS directly on the same machine, it works perfectly fine. So which Server can't DNSMasq reach?

Galactica # nslookup
> server 127.0.0.1
Default server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> gentoo.org
> server 8.8.8.8
Default server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
> gentoo.org
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   gentoo.org
Address: 89.16.167.134

What did I wrong? I don't understand this, as it only affects *.org domains??

Conrad