[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq does not resolv *.org domains

Nathan Dorfman na at rtfm.net
Fri Aug 15 01:40:09 BST 2014

Hey Conrad,

I can't imagine why it'd only affect .org domains, so maybe this isn't
the cause of your problem, but I think your configuration is a little
weird. My first guess would be that dnsmasq is recursing infinitely
because it sees the same 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' line as other clients?

I suggest you try this setup:

1. Only localhost goes in /etc/resolv.conf, so all regular clients
query the local dnsmasq only.
2. Point dnsmasq at the real nameservers using a different file, by
adding a line like this to dnsmasq.conf:
    resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.upstream
3. Put the upstream nameservers (8.8.8.8, etc) in the new file, but
*not* 127.0.0.1 -- you don't want dnsmasq querying itself!
Alternatively, if your file is normally generated by the resolvconf
program, add a line like this to resolvconf.conf (don't forget to stop
prepending localhost, too):
    resolv_conf=/etc/resolv.conf.upstream

-nd.