[Dnsmasq-discuss] Suggested configuration best practices for home net with dynamic ipv6 prefix?

Eugene Rudoy gene.devel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:48:51 BST 2014

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Stephen Riehm <dnsmasq at opensauce.de> wrote:

> My router (fritzbox) provides DHCPv6 however it insists on using the
> domain name
> fritz.box. and the name resolution seems to be very flakey. I'm hoping to
> replace
> the router's DNS & DHCP services with dnsmasq on a separate server
> (freebsd).
>
> For example, assuming dnsmasq is running on a host in my local network:
>
> Router configuration (fritzbox provides the following options):

not sure if it would solve your problems, just wanted to point out that you
can modify the firmware of your fritzbox using the project called freetz
<http://freetz.org/timeline>. It contains dnsmasq as a package and offers
you the possibility to replace fritzbox own DNS-server with dnsmasq. The
only disadvantages of using freetz are: a) you would lose the warranty for
your fritzbox and b) the support for the latest firmware series from AVM
(6.20) is not yet stable.

Best,
Gene