[Dnsmasq-discuss] Suggested configuration best practices for home net with dynamic ipv6 prefix?

Stephen Riehm dnsmasq at opensauce.de
Mon Sep 22 16:58:23 BST 2014

Hi Gene,

On 22.09.2014, at 17:48, Eugene Rudoy <gene.devel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Stephen Riehm <dnsmasq at opensauce.de> wrote:
> My router (fritzbox) provides DHCPv6 however it insists on using the domain name
> fritz.box. and the name resolution seems to be very flakey. I'm hoping to replace
> the router's DNS & DHCP services with dnsmasq on a separate server (freebsd).
>
> For example, assuming dnsmasq is running on a host in my local network:
>
> Router configuration (fritzbox provides the following options):
>
> not sure if it would solve your problems, just wanted to point out that you can modify the firmware of your fritzbox using the project called freetz. It contains dnsmasq as a package and offers you the possibility to replace fritzbox own DNS-server with dnsmasq. The only disadvantages of using freetz are: a) you would lose the warranty for your fritzbox and b) the support for the latest firmware series from AVM (6.20) is not yet stable.

I thought someone might mention that :-)
Not really tickled by the idea, my fritzbox is still quite new
so there's still a lot of guarantee to be lost.

And even if I did freetz ist, dnsmasq would be in use there too,
so I'd still be confronted by much the same problems.
(serving names of hosts which have auto-assigned ipv6 addresses etc.)

Cheers,

Steve