[Dnsmasq-discuss] SLAAC is working, but DHCPv6 isn't

Ken Welker benedictcc at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 23:17:37 BST 2014

Hi!  I seem to be unable to get DHCPv6 working, but SLAAC works just fine.

I'm using the 2.71 version of Dnsmasq, with compile time options "IPv6
GNU-getopt no-DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-scripts no-TFTP no-conntrack
ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC".

A reduced config for two networks, focusing only on IPv6, with some info
removed:

enable-ra
ra-param=net0,high,45,1800
ra-param=net2,high,10,1800
dhcp-range=<prefix>1::4001,<prefix>1::1ff:5000,slaac,64,4h
dhcp-range=<prefix>8::4001,<prefix>8::1ff:5000,slaac,64,4h
server=<dns>::1
server=<dns>::2
interface=net0
interface=net2
user=nobody
group=nobody
dhcp-option=option6:domain-search,localdomain
dhcp-option=option6:ntp-server,[fe80::<host>]

Running a packet capture on both my server and a host, I can see the
"solict" packet from the host to the server; however the server doesn't
send an "advertise" packet back to the client (but logging in syslog
says that it *did* send a DHCPADVERTISE, and shows a valid IPv6 address
that it "offered" the client.)

No firewall rules prevent this communication; they're wide open for
internal traffic.

Would anyone have ideas on why dnsmasq isn't replying to the solicit
(but saying that it did)?

-Ken