[Dnsmasq-discuss] cname does not seem to be working

Brian J. Murrell (brian) brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Oct 23 14:22:10 BST 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 22:00 +0200, samlt wrote:

> Check this option in the manual to see the conditions for the directive
> not to be ignored! :)

Ahhh.  You must be referring to:

 Return a CNAME record which indicates that <cname> is really
 <target>. There are significant limitations on the target; it must be a
 DNS name which is known to dnsmasq from /etc/hosts (or additional
 hosts files), from DHCP, from --interface-name or from another
 --cname.
 If the target does not satisfy this
 criteria, the whole cname is ignored.

I take it that means that cname cannot be used to just create general
CNAMEs for any target (similar to RPZs) but is generally limited to
local data?  If so, that's a pity.  I'm going to end up having to
replace dnsmasq here with ISC's BIND9 and DHCP server.  :-(

To be clear, :-( is not for the software -- BIND9 and ISC's DHCP server
are wonderful.  They are just overkill for what I need here (cname's
limitations aside) and going to be additional work to convert my
existing dnsmasq configuration to them.

b.