[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP for multiple IP ranges with dnsmasq

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Jan 18 21:47:36 GMT 2015

On 14/01/15 22:19, Helmut Friederici wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> Obviously the problems have gone two days later without having done
>  something. Maybe the lease times where too long and I was too
> impatient.

Could be. There's no way for dnsmasq to end existing leases, but it
will notice that a client should move IP because the config has
changed and refuse to renew when the client tries at the end of the
lease. That will make the client get a new lease with a new address.

> I reduced the lease times to only a few minutes but later I will
> set them to some more practical values again.
>
> But for now time healed any wounds.
>
> Thanks again, Helmut
>

> Am Montag, 12. Januar 2015, 20:32:39 schrieb Simon Kelley:
>> A couple of things to start with:
>>
>> First, tell us the version of dnsmasq you're using. Second, add
>>
>> log-dhcp
>>
>> to the configuration file, let you clients attempt to get an
>> address, and see what was logged. Amongst other things, all the
>> tags that dnsmasq calculated for the client will be shown, so we
>> can see if the problem is wrong tags, or something else.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Simon.
>>
>> On 12/01/15 15:06, Helmut Friederici wrote:
>>> Hello, this is my first post in this mailing list and I am a
>>> newbie to dnsmasq. So please be a bit patient with me.
>>>
>>> I think I am not the first having the following problem and
>>> there is a solution, but I haven't seen it yet. I want to setup
>>> multiple IP ranges for different ethernet-enabled devices. Many
>>> of them should get fixed addresses by dnsmasq, others should
>>> get real dynamic addresses. What I want is the following:
>>>
>>> - defining several DHCP-Ranges with and without tagnames,
>>> e.g.: DHCP-RANGE=tag:external,<IP-Start>,<IP-
>>> End>,255.255.255.0,8h DHCP-RANGE=tag:local1,<IP-Start>,<IP-
>>> End>,255.255.255.0,1h DHCP-RANGE=tag:local2,<IP-Start>,<IP-
>>> End>,255.255.255.0,1h DHCP-RANGE=tag:local3,<IP-Start>,<IP-
>>> End>,255.255.255.0,1h
>>> DHCP-RANGE=<IP-Start>,<IP-End>,255.255.255.0,2h - defining
> several
>>> DHCP-Hosts with and without fixed IPs, names, but all existing
>>> range tags DHCP-HOST=<MAC1>,set:external,<Name1>
>>> DHCP-HOST=<MAC2>,set:external,<IP2>,<Name2>
>>> DHCP-HOST=<MAC3>,set:local1,<IP3>
>>> DHCP-HOST=<MAC4>,set:local1,<IP4>
>>> DHCP-HOST=<MAC5>,set:local2,<IP5>,<Name5>
>>> DHCP-HOST=<MAC6>,set:local3,<IP6> - using partly specified MAC
>>> addresses (vendor specific) so that devices with matching MAC
>>> addresses get IP addresses of DHCP range "local2"
>>> DHCP-HOST=11:22:33:*:*:*,set:local2 - using different gateways
>>> - or more specific suppress internet access
>>> DHCP-OPTION=tag:local1,3,127.0.0.1
>>> DHCP-OPTION=tag:local2,3,127.0.0.1