[Dnsmasq-discuss] How does DNSMASQ handle large concurrent configure file updating request requests

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 11:50:06 GMT 2015

On 22/01/15 03:50, Yongkang You wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Simon Kelley
> <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> OK, the first problem: I didn't anticipate that you're using
>> dhcp-optsfile, do there's no support for that in the code I
>> checked in. That's easily fixed.
>>

> After release new binary, I would love to try.
>

>> There's no support for addn-hosts either. You're including the
>> hostname on the dhcp-host stanza, so the hosts file may be
>> redundant, but it does allow the hostname to resolve in the DNS
>> even if the host doesn't have a DHCP lease. If that why you're
>> using the hosts file? If
>>

> We using leasefile-ro option in dnsmasq.conf. I am not sure if it
> means no DHCP lease, although we still have to call 'dhcp_release',
> after removing a VM's dns config. Is it a correct usage?

That's fine. The difference is that if a hostname appears in
dhcp-host, then it won't  appear in the DNS until the DHCP client gets
a DHCP lease. If it appear in a hosts file, then it always appears in
the DNS.

This difference is especially important for you as you're not using a
DHCP hostsfile, since restarting dnsmasq will effecively lose the DHCP
lease database, and all the names in dhcp-hosts names will disappear
from the DNS until the clients get around to renewing their DHCP leases.

>> so, I need to think about that a bit more.
>>

> But we do need that files, since there are some hostname bindings
> will only appear in addn-hosts configs (and not in dhcp-host
> configs).

OK, you need something to handle this then.

I'm working on it now.