[Dnsmasq-discuss] Scalability of DNS blackhole configuration?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Feb 19 18:10:08 GMT 2017

There are two ways to do this: one is the way you have.

The second is  using either a file in the same format as /etc/hosts
and --addn-hosts, using --host-record.

Either probably have similar memory-footprint implications, but the
first does wildcards, so your example actually matches
www.example.com, mail.example.com etc. The second doesn't do
wildcards, but will be much faster as you go through the next couple
of orders of magnitude.

There are no hard limits, but there are always pratical limits.