[Dnsmasq-discuss] Overlapping/duplicate subnets

S. M. Hossein Hamidi hossein.hamidi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:55:30 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I am new to dnsmasq and my mind is busy with a DHCP scenario that I would
like to consult with you before getting my hands dirty.

Suppose that we have several subnets which are behind a NAT device which
additionally acts as a DHCP relay agent. I know that using DHCP relay agent
information option, I can distinguish between different subnets. However,
the additional constraint is to use duplicate or overlapping subnets
instead of distinct subnets. Since, the traffic comes from each segment
goes through NAT, it wouldn't be any problem to use duplicate IP addresses,
knowing that each segment has its own autonomy.

So, may I know if can I exploit tagging feature of dnsmasq so that it can
handle separate potentially overlapping leases for each subnet?

Regards,