[Dnsmasq-discuss] [patch] empty empty lines

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Sep 30 15:50:31 BST 2019

To be clear, I have no objection to this sort of patch/suggestion.

It should be fairly clear, however, that my available time to work on
dnsmasq at the moment is limited, and stuff like this is not a priority,
and likely to be pushed to the back of the queue, possibly so far that
it never emerges again.

If we're going to do this, the first stage is probably to add hooks to
git to run expand (for tabs) and this filter on all NEW commits. Then
we won't ever have to do that again.

As that filter will make massive  updates to existing code, we'll have
to take a one-time commit across the codebase to get everything fixed
once. Otherwise the filters will adding lots of extra formatting changes
to other commits as they touch files, which is not good.

So, let's come to a consensus if a one-time clean up commit across the
codebase is a price worth paying to fix the formatting issues, and if it
is, work out how to add automatic filters to git to keep things clean
afterwards. If anyone has experience of that, I'd like to hear.