[Dnsmasq-discuss] CNAME trouble with no AAAA

Dominick C. Pastore dominickpastore at dcpx.org
Fri Oct 18 18:05:53 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> I can see a strong argument that a query for a name which is configured
> as a CNAME in dnsmaq, but for a type which is not known to dnsmasq,
> should return a NODATA reply.
>
> In fact I can't see a downside to that.
>
> Anybody else?
>

> Simon.

First, thank you for the patch.

A question: Would this patch mean the restriction from the manpage I mentioned will no longer apply? Or would it still apply, but be satisfied as long as a record of any type is known for the target? (Note that the latter is the way I originally interpreted the manual, until I observed otherwise.)

I ask because in the former case, that could mean Dnsmasq would send a NODATA reply if the target only exists in public DNS, correct? I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of DNS to know if that would cause a problem for clients.

Relevant snippet of the manpage copied here for reference:
"There are significant limitations on the target; it must be a DNS name which is known to dnsmasq from /etc/hosts (or additional hosts files), from DHCP, from --interface-name or from another --cname. If the target does not satisfy this criteria, the whole cname is ignored."

Thanks,
Nick