[Dnsmasq-discuss] CNAME trouble with no AAAA

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Oct 19 11:16:39 BST 2019

The restriction still applies. indeed the patch relies on it.

The origin of this is that, for architectural reasons, dnsmasq can only
supply a reply which originates completely from locally known data, or
completely from a reply from upstream. Since a local CNAME to a target
in the public DNS necessarily  has both, it's not possible.

What the patch does, is allow a reply consisting only of the CNAME, of
the target isn't locally defined for the type in question. This would be
in error if the target was defined for the type in the public DNS, hence
the condition disallowing that. The second version of the patch only
does this for a locally defined CNAME, otherwise, you get the situation
where a CNAME to a A record is cached from upstream, and then a query
for an AAAA record on the CNAME name returns just the CNAME, rather than
sending it upstream, because the AAAA record for the CNAME target it not
currently cached.

> I ask because in the former case, that could mean Dnsmasq would send a
> NODATA reply if the target only exists in public DNS, correct? I'm not
> familiar enough with the intricacies of DNS to know if that would
> cause a problem for clients.

Such a reply could, in theory, cause a client to cache the Nodata status
of the CNAME target, whereas, if it queried the target directly, it
would get public data. A cabeat about that should, possibly be added to
the current disclaimer :(

Simon.