[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq localise-queries + addn-hosts "views"

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Mar 29 09:06:08 BST 2020

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 08:38:41PM +0000, Jake Howard wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020, at 17:59, Simon Kelley wrote:
> > On 19/03/2020 21:47, Jake Howard wrote:
> > > Is `localise-queries` meant to work against entries added via
> > > `addn-hosts`? Querying a record returns both IPs, but always in
> > > the same order. The order is correctly fixed when the records are
> > > put in `/etc/hosts` directly.
> >
> > Yes, localise-queries works with entries added via addn-hosts, but
> > it doesn't have anything to do with the order that records appear,
> > so that doesn't address your problem. What are you trying to achieve?
>
> My intention is to have 1 dnsmasq instance, accessible over 2 interfaces
> (listening on all), and have the response to a query differ based on
> the interface, and therefore its incoming IP.

Ah, that is what domain name server bind9 calls   "view".

https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00851 has title
 Understanding views in BIND 9

> From what i've read, that's exactly what localise-queries is meant
> to do, but it doesn't appear to be unless I put the entries into
> /etc/hosts directly.

> > > Config:
> > >
> > > ```
> > > localise-queries
> > > no-resolv
> > > cache-size=10000
> > > log-queries
> > > log-facility=/var/log/pihole.log
> > > local-ttl=2 log-async
> > > server=1.1.1.1
> > > server=1.0.0.1
> > > interface=eth0
> > > server=/use-application-dns.net/
> > > addn-hosts=/etc/vpn-hosts.conf
> > > localise-queries
> > > ```
> > >
> > > Would appreciate some input,

Think  "santa claus with adult point of view"
and "santa claus with child point of view"
while reading the above "Understanding views in BIND 9"

Now have look at your configuration and answer these questions
* How are the multiple "thruths" defined?
* When telling which "thruth"?

> or being told i'm wrong!

An example of "wrong" is not respecting the discussion order.
Place your reply below the previous text.
Make it possible that your community members can
read in the order as it has been told.

Understand that you are writing to N people.  With N being large.
At least larger then your usual one-on-one conversation.

Regards
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse