[Dnsmasq-discuss] Fwd: dnsmasq localise-queries + addn-hosts

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 20:42:25 BST 2020

On 28/03/2020 20:38, Jake Howard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My intention is to have 1 dnsmasq instance, accessible over 2 interfaces
> (listening on all), and have the response to a query differ based on the
> interface, and therefore its incoming IP. From what i've read, that's
> exactly what localise-queries is meant to do, but it doesn't appear to
> be unless I put the entries into /etc/hosts directly.

OK, what you're expecting to happen and what I'm expecting to happen are
the same. That's good.

I just did a quick test, and it seems to work fine for me. The
example.com addresses are in /tmp/hosts.

srk at holly:~/dnsmasq/dnsmasq$ src/dnsmasq -d --log-queries
--localise-queries -p 10000 --addn-hosts=/tmp/hosts
dnsmasq: started, version 2.81rc4-5-gd162bee cachesize 150
dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-UBus no-i18n
no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth no-DNSSEC
loop-detect inotify dumpfile
dnsmasq: reading /etc/resolv.conf
dnsmasq: using nameserver 127.0.1.1#53
dnsmasq: read /etc/hosts - 9 addresses
dnsmasq: read /tmp/hosts - 2 addresses
dnsmasq: query[A] example.com from 127.0.0.1
dnsmasq: /tmp/hosts example.com is 192.168.151.43
dnsmasq: /tmp/hosts example.com is 192.168.150.43
dnsmasq: query[A] example.com from 192.168.150.49
dnsmasq: /tmp/hosts example.com is 192.168.150.43

If it's not working for you, that's a bug, but we need to find what it
is about your setup that tickles the bug.

Can you boil it down to the simplest configuration that displays the
problem, and also specify which version of dnsmasq you're using?

cheers,

Simon.