[Dnsmasq-discuss] Temporary failure in name resolution when IPv6 is enabled

Amit amit.uttam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:27:33 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 11:42 PM Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 07:36:43AM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 05:57:22PM -0800, Amit wrote:
> > > I have been following discussions in "[Dnsmasq-discuss] v2.83 failed to
> > > send packet: Network is unreachable" and was happy to hear it has been
> > > resolved in dnsmasq v2.84-1 in debian testing.
> > >
> > > However, this still seems to affect me and I get the error:
> > >
> > > $  ping www.google.com
> > > ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
> > >

> Explaining why version numbers are relevant in "this problem" is also fine.

Updated subject. More detailed explanation:
 - The issue first appeared in v2.83 after upgrading from v2.82 for our devices.
 - An upgrade to v2.84 was forced once the fix was in debian.
 - The issue looks to still persist in the latest release as the
devices continue
to see issues in resolving DNS queries.

> > > In other notes, I am able to get it to work if I disable ipv6. I have
> > > confirmed several users in our local environment see this issue as well
> > > with the same setup. Let me know if there is anything else you need.
> >
> > All the links of the chain are needed.
>
> At least be aware there are multi links. Example of the chain:
> * root DNServer
> * DNServer
> * dnsmasq
> * client

Yes, that is correct. So far there has been no change to the other
points in the chain. To verify a downgrade to dnsmasq 2.82 was
attempted and the system was able to resolve queries again.

> Where is the `ping www.google.com` done?
> Where and how is IPv6 disabled?

 - The ping is done from a Debian linux laptop
 - IPv6 is disabled from Network Manager by editing
the configuration from the connection editor and disabling
IPv6.
 - Although disabling IPv6 is probably not the solution this was
just an observation that disabling seems to allow queries to
function again.

If there are more details required, I can provide them.