[Dnsmasq-discuss] Temporary failure in name resolution when IPv6 is enabled

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Feb 3 19:50:18 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 09:27:33AM -0800, Amit wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 11:42 PM Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

> > > All the links of the chain are needed.
> >
> > At least be aware there are multi links. Example of the chain:
> > * root DNServer
> > * DNServer
> > * dnsmasq
> > * client
> >

> Yes, that is correct. So far there has been no change to the other
> points in the chain. To verify a downgrade to dnsmasq 2.82 was
> attempted and the system was able to resolve queries again.

Acknowledge on "2.82" does work
And I'm somewhat lost on "the system was able again"

> > Where is the `ping www.google.com` done?
> > Where and how is IPv6 disabled?
> >

>  - The ping is done from a Debian linux laptop
>  - IPv6 is disabled from Network Manager by editing
> the configuration from the connection editor and disabling
> IPv6.
>  - Although disabling IPv6 is probably not the solution this was
> just an observation that disabling seems to allow queries to
> function again.

My guess:

} } Where is the `ping www.google.com` done?
} The ping is done at the end of the chain
} } Where and how is IPv6 disabled?
} Same machine,  magic from Network Manager
}
} Although disabling IPv6 is probably not the solution this was just an
} observation that disabling seems to allow queries to function again

The dnsmasq machine has no or a broken IPv6 configuration.
Breaking IPv6 on the client at the end of the chain
results in a fallback (failback?) to IPv4.

The install of version 2.82  probably has some side effects,
side effects that cover or undo problems.

> If there are more details required, I can provide them.

Feedback on the guess is  appriciated.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
Subscribed to this mailinglist