[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using a reverse lookup host file

Ercolino de Spiacico bellocarico at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 16:17:56 UTC 2021

I would like to ask two questions on dnsmasq name resolution:

1) why doesn't dnsmasq perform reverse DNS resolution by default? All
the info is in there but it seems like additional directives are needed.

2) Talking about having an external file where reverse lookup info is
held, how would this be linked to the main dnsmasq configuration and
what would the content of it look like e.g. syntax? All I could find are
configuration directives like:
host-record=node01.black.system,10.248.11.21
but my idea would be to have something that looks more like the host
file (if possible at all). Where can I find the relevant documentation
on how to achieve this and/or can I get some help on how to get started?

Thanks