[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using a reverse lookup host file

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 4 16:40:45 UTC 2021

On 04.05.21 18:17, Ercolino de Spiacico wrote:
>1) why doesn't dnsmasq perform reverse DNS resolution by default? All
>the info is in there but it seems like additional directives are
>needed.

what do you mean? dnsmasq resoves everything it can, but only if you ask for
it.

>2) Talking about having an external file where reverse lookup info is
>held, how would this be linked to the main dnsmasq configuration and
>what would the content of it look like e.g. syntax? All I could find
>are configuration directives like:
>host-record=node01.black.system,10.248.11.21

well, by this you explicitly configure dnsmasq to provide only A lookup.

>but my idea would be to have something that looks more like the host
>file (if possible at all). Where can I find the relevant documentation
>on how to achieve this and/or can I get some help on how to get
>started?

you can /etc/hosts instead, which is standard file in UN*X operating
systems. dnsmasq uses it for forward and reverse resolution, unless you
disable it.

"One World. One Web. One Program." - Microsoft promotional advertisement
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer!" - Adolf Hitler