[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is there a way to run dnsmasq in safe mode (no-fail)?

Cyberfusion wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Sun May 23 19:01:01 UTC 2021

> Op 23 mei 2021 om 20:17 heeft Ercolino de Spiacico <bellocarico at hotmail.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
>  I didn't try but I suppose the --test parameter works. However this is not my point.
> I would like dnsmasq to stop (prevent execution) only for very serious matters like incomplete IP addresses in config, binding port higher than 65K, etc. you name it.
>
> I believe there is a rather long list of reasons (incorrect dhcp-host syntax being one as per original message) that could/should be excluded from this process execution control.

It is impossible for software to decide what is a ‘serious matter’ and what isn’t.

> This takes nothing away from the fact that having a clear/clean config is ultimately a must, I just don't want to have to call a person in a different continent again because of a typo on a "secondary" configuration parameter.

You don’t have to. You can validate the config.

> In one sentence: let's make dnsmasq as resilient as possible.

The workflow should be as resilient as possible. Ergo, validate your config. You could add the validation command to ExecStartPre to prevent dnsmasq from restarting with a faulty config.