[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem with TFTP in dnsmasq

Brown, Aaron M. Aaron.Brown3 at utoledo.edu
Tue Jun 8 20:54:45 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I'm having trouble getting dnsmasq and tftp to work and I'm tearing my hair out. I'm hoping someone can potentially hit me with the clue by four and point out what dumb thing I'm missing.

In the bigger scope, I'm trying to get PXE booting setup on a server, but at the moment before I even get to anything more complicated, I'm struggling just to get TFTP to work. I have set up my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file as the following:

interface=bond0
port=0
enable-tftp
tftp-root=/tftp
log-dhcp
dhcp-range=<serverIPAddress>,proxy
dhcp-no-override

dnsmasq is up and running without errors. I put a simple file in /tftp called "test.txt". The /tftp directory has been set to 755 permissions.

I then go to client computer and using a tftp client attempt to GET the test.txt file but it times out without retrieving the file.

There is no firewall running when I do this on either server or client and I can ping from both client and server to each other.

On the server, I see in a tcpdump of port 69 that the client is making RRQ requests. When I look at the status of the dnsmasq service I see:

Jun 08 16:13:46 <serverName> dnsmasq-tftp[258381]: failed sending /tftp/test.txt to <clientIPAddress>

There's a similar message in /var/log/syslog as well for dnsmasq-tftp failing to send the file. I've been pouring over the docs/man pages and the sample .conf file, but I'm clearly not understanding what I'm missing.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched the web for similar problems, but I haven't been able to find anything that resembles my situation. Usually people seem to have issues after this point with what TFTP is passing out, not just getting TFPT up and running.

Server OS: Ubuntu 20.04 Server
Client OS: Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop

Aaron M Brown
Engineering College Computing