[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem with TFTP in dnsmasq

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Wed Jun 9 07:24:39 UTC 2021

On 6/8/2021 10:54 PM, Brown, Aaron M. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having trouble getting dnsmasq and tftp to work and I'm tearing my hair out. I'm hoping someone can potentially hit me with the clue by four and point out what dumb thing I'm missing.
>
> In the bigger scope, I'm trying to get PXE booting setup on a server, but at the moment before I even get to anything more complicated, I'm struggling just to get TFTP to work. I have set up my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file as the following:
>
> interface=bond0
> port=0
> enable-tftp
> tftp-root=/tftp
> log-dhcp
> dhcp-range=<serverIPAddress>,proxy

 From (1):

"Dnsmasq supports PXE "proxy-DHCP", in this case another DHCP server on
the network is responsible for allocating IP addresses, and dnsmasq
simply provides the information given in --pxe-prompt and --pxe-service
to allow netbooting. This mode is enabled using the proxy keyword in
--dhcp-range."

I'll assume that you have an other DHCP serverdishing out IP addresses.

 > dhcp-no-override
 >
> dnsmasq is up and running without errors. I put a simple file in /tftp called "test.txt". The /tftp directory has been set to 755 permissions.

If you want Dnsmasq to provide dhcp and PXE booting, you might want  to
remove 'proxy' from the above range.

HTH.

1)  https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

--