[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-host precedence

Jesus M Diaz jesusm.diazperez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 19:58:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

Let me explain the scenario:

- I have a number of computers acquiring IP-address by DHCP and I have
dnsmasq configured with static leases for specific mac-addresses.
- I also have a couple of virtual computers for very specific purposes that
I run from a live Linux distro from a USB drive. Physically I can run them
on any of my 'physical' computers.

Now the problem and questions:

- I configured the virtual-usb computers to present themselves with
specific hostnames.
- I configured dnsmasq to assign an ip-address based on the hostname, and
it works fine ... *IF AND ONLY IF* I don't have a specific mac-address
based dhsp-host entry.

Apparently when I have more than one dhcp-host entries matching the DHCP
request, the mac-addr based one is the preferred one. I've tried
configuring it in different order but always the mac-addr based is the
chosen one.

So, my question: is there any way to set up the precedence of the dhcp-host
entry in case more than one match the DHCP request?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Jesus M