[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-host precedence request due multiple matches

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 20 21:05:08 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 08:58:59PM +0100, Jesus M Diaz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me explain the scenario:
>
> - I have a number of computers acquiring IP-address by DHCP and I have
> dnsmasq configured with static leases for specific mac-addresses.
> - I also have a couple of virtual computers for very specific purposes that
> I run from a live Linux distro from a USB drive. Physically I can run them
> on any of my 'physical' computers.
>
> Now the problem and questions:
>
> - I configured the virtual-usb computers to present themselves with
> specific hostnames.

OK

> - I configured dnsmasq to assign an ip-address based on the hostname, and
> it works fine ... *IF AND ONLY IF* I don't have a specific mac-address
> based dhcp-host entry.

OK

> Apparently when I have more than one dhcp-host entries matching the DHCP
> request, the mac-addr based one is the preferred one. I've tried
> configuring it in different order but always the mac-addr based is the
> chosen one.
>
> So, my question:
> is there any way to set up the precedence of the dhcp-host entry

Triggered by  "the dhcp-host entry", a snippet from manual page of dnsmasq:

In other words: "the dhcp-host entry" has many many meanings.

> in case more than one match the DHCP request?

What avoiding the multiple matches?

And what is the actual problem? As in:  Why the question?

My point of view:
  Each computer has a (dnsmasq) DNS entry,
  the entry gets in DNS by DHCP of dnsmasq.

Regards
Geert Stappers

ADA coin wallet address
 DdzFFzCqrhsmqj9cvCvEcpq7D97cqSVmKKB8wEAzyAxYP76PwhFZBi1qyz9e38heFdQ2twPhmaWusS2XogsBgz5Mx7DYxtN4W9TnPEPW
--
Silence is hard to parse