[Dnsmasq-discuss] client q: both static and dhcp

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Jun 27 06:26:24 UTC 2021

These machines are portable. they will likely start out on a lan where I
control the dhcp server;  the os apps and config are setup, then they are
moved to another room.   They live there for a few days to a week, and then
are put back in storage, with a few being left out for R&D to experiment
with.

There isn't always a dhcp server on the network.  Sometimes there isn't
even a network with the exception of a single run of cat 5 between 2
machines.

This is what is going on:
https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/room_setup.html#room-setup

Sometimes there isn't a link to "DHCP – Gigabit feed out" (thus there is no
live stream, just recording to local disk)

This is what I want the static IP for:
The "Opsis PC" has a systemd script that connects to "Voctomix PC"
The script uses a hostname, the hostname is set in /etc/hosts

If there is a network with dhcp, then it will be nice to get the gateway
and be able to ssh into machines.

--
Carl K