[Dnsmasq-discuss] client q: both static and dhcp

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Sun Jun 27 16:16:16 UTC 2021

On 6/27/2021 3:53 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:56 AM john doe <johndoe65534 at mail.com> wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> I need this for when move put a box on someone else's network.
>>> So I don't have any control over the dhcp server.
>>>

>> Then set an fix IP on dhcp client (dhclient ...) and remove it when you
>> don't need it.
>>
>> Basically, you set the dhcp client to have a static address or let the
>> client get a lease from a dhcp server.
>>

> I'm trying to reduce the amount of work I need to do when I show up and
> discover there is no dhcp server.
>
> Example locations: university, coffee shop, convention center, office
> meeting room.   In all cases I am a guest for a few days.

I'm pretty sure that all of those places provide dhcp services.

Regardless of the client you are using, there is always a way to have a
script/hook/... that will help you fallback to a static address.

>> Why do you need dnsmasq into the mix?
>>

> I don't - I am just working on client config.

Don't forget that Dnsmasq is a server, that would be lovely if you could
in future state clearly that your question is off topic (OT) in your
subject line.

--
John Doe