[Dnsmasq-discuss] file not found messages from tftp

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Thu Jul 8 17:30:47 UTC 2021

> On 8 Jul 2021, at 17:10, Aleksander Mazur <deweloper at wp.pl> wrote:

<snip>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand your point.
> AFAIK valid DNS query requests are already completely hidden (not even under
> DEBUG). Does it feel wrong as well?
>
> Anyway, those fake TFTP errors turn my syslog into dnsmasq's verbose trace log.
> Lowering their severity to DEBUG (since they are completely useless unless you
> are debugging dnsmasq or PXE/TFTP client) restores usability of the syslog.

I wonder if there is a third way - At the risk of yet another dnsmasq option I note that ‘—-quiet-tftp’ does not yet exist.  ‘—quiet-dhcp’ & friends exist with "Suppress logging of the routine operation of these protocols. Errors and problems will still be logged.” as the accompanying manpage text.  We can then argue as to whether "file not found" is an error/problem that should be reported and for this case “no”, but permission errors “yes"

Cheers,

Kevin D-B

gpg: 012C ACB2 28C6 C53E 9775  9123 B3A2 389B 9DE2 334A