[Dnsmasq-discuss] localise-queries on ipv6 server does not work with ipv4-only hosts

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Jul 17 15:52:15 UTC 2021

>Am 16.07.2021 um 10:53 schrieb Dominik DL6ER:
>>>localise-queries
>>>     Return answers to DNS queries from /etc/hosts and --interface-name
>>>and --dynamic-host which DEPENDS ON THE INTERFACE over which the query
>>>was received.

I don't see into the code, but if the "interface" really means "ip address
bound on local interface", it would explain this behaviour.

On 16.07.21 12:00, fda at gmx.de wrote:
>My "interface" has an ipv4 and an ipv6!
>And im requesting BY ipv6 an ipv4 (as the host has no ipv6) at an interface
>which is in 1 of the subnets of the returned host.
>
>If this should not be supported ("bug") the manpage should be fixed and
>the word "interface" avoided.

>>>Currently this facility is limited to IPv4.
>
>Yes, im asking for an ipv4

perhaps it by ipv4 it means not only ipv4 addresses, but also requests
received over ipv4. Which should be fair to assume as it's not specified in
more detail.

>>What you request would be adding an interface-dependent address lookup:
>>is there any suitable IPv4 address on the same interface. However,a few
>>things need to be clarified in this case: how to handle multiple IPv4
>>addresses on the same interface each of which having a valid record? It
>>is just not possible to localize queries in the same way when it is not
>>clear which IPv4 subnet the client is in.
>

> - Dnsmasq know the incomming/destination ip of the request.
>
> - At daemon start it build and list with interfaces+all its ipV 4+6
>
> - And if an ipv4 sould be returned by ipv6 this list is first used.
>
>In case it still fails (many subnets at 1 interfce) it could the old
>"return all" method be used
>
>I dont know dnsmasq source code, but it sound not so hard

Meybe the source does NOT contain code for this, and I guess the obvious
answer to this would be "patches welcome".

>For the multi-subnets exists a workaround to make it fully working:
>assign only 1 IPv4 per IF and move the other IPv4s to "eth0:n"

since you are talking abot requests received over ipv6, this looks like
rather useless advice.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.