[Dnsmasq-discuss] NXDOMAIN is sent instead of NODATA when querying for non-existent AAAA records

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Aug 5 14:50:23 UTC 2021

There's lots of code in dnsmasq which tries to get this right.

eg.

forward AAAA upstream
upstream replies with NXDOMAIN
dnsmasq checks if it knows data for other record types like A and if so
rewrites NXDOMAIN to NODATA.

TLDR; We though of this, and we think it works correctly. If you've
found a specific case where it isn't working, we'll need more
information on exactly what that case is, and what version of dnsmasq
you're running.

Setting --log-queries, demonstrating the problem, then sending the logs,
would be a good start.

cheers,

Simon.