[Dnsmasq-discuss] NXDOMAIN is sent instead of NODATA when querying for non-existent AAAA records

Wojtek Swiatek w at swtk.info
Wed Aug 4 19:42:16 UTC 2021

Hello everyone

I noticed that my dnsmasq server is sending an NXDOMAIN instead of a NODATA
when I query it for AAAA records it does not have.

This is, I believe, not the correct behaviour (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2308 - see 1 Terminology → NODATA)
and that response breaks queries that otherwise would have tried the A
record. See for instance
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB73433&actp=LIST

As a workaround: is there a way to automatically populate AAAA
records together with the A ones (from DHCP)?