[Dnsmasq-discuss] feature: dictionary order import of addn-hosts dirs?

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:09:14 UTC 2021

On 8/18/2021 3:44 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:

> On 17/08/2021 19:24, john doe wrote:

>>> The cache datastructures don't allow track where names came from, so the
>>> choices are to clear the cache and re-read all configuration files, or
>>> not to delete anything.
>>>

>> Thank you, that would explain the following:
>>
>> inotify, new or changed file /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
>> read /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
>> duplicate dhcp-host IP address 172.17.232.10 at line 7 of
>> /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
>> duplicate dhcp-host IP address 172.17.232.11 at line 9 of
>> /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
>>

>> Is there a way to disable inotify?
>
> Use dhcp-hostsfile=</path/to/directory>instead of
> dhcp-hostsdir=</path/to/directory>
>
> dhcp-hostsfil is fine with a directory argument, and doesn't implement
> the automatic re-read function.

Thank you.

Changing 'dhcp-hostsdir' and 'dhcp-optsdir' to 'dhcp-*file=<...>' works
but not for 'hostsfile=<PATH-OF-DIR>'

"dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
dnsmasq: bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf
bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf"

Line 11: 'hostsfile=<PATH-OF-DIR>'

Debian Stretch:
$ dnsmasq --version
Dnsmasq version 2.76  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua
TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify

That is, if I'm reading the manpage correctly! :)

My apologies for the noise if this is already fixed in a newer release.

--
John Doe