[Dnsmasq-discuss] feature: dictionary order import of addn-hosts dirs?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Aug 22 20:06:35 UTC 2021

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 08:09:14PM +0200, john doe wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 3:44 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:

> > > Thank you, that would explain the following:
> > >
> > > inotify, new or changed file /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
> > > read /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
> > > duplicate dhcp-host IP address 172.17.232.10 at line 7 of
> > > /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
> > > duplicate dhcp-host IP address 172.17.232.11 at line 9 of
> > > /etc/dnsmasq-dhcp-hosts.d/try
> > >

> > > Is there a way to disable inotify?
> >
> > Use dhcp-hostsfile=</path/to/directory>instead of
> > dhcp-hostsdir=</path/to/directory>
> >
> > dhcp-hostsfil is fine with a directory argument, and doesn't implement
> > the automatic re-read function.
> >

> Thank you.
>
> Changing 'dhcp-hostsdir' and 'dhcp-optsdir' to 'dhcp-*file=<...>' works
> but not for 'hostsfile=<PATH-OF-DIR>'
>
> "dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
> dnsmasq: bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf
> bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf"
>

> Line 11: 'hostsfile=<PATH-OF-DIR>'
>
> Debian Stretch:
> $ dnsmasq --version
> Dnsmasq version 2.76  Copyright (c) 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
> Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua
> TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify
>
> That is, if I'm reading the manpage correctly! :)
>

> My apologies for the noise if this is already fixed in a newer release.

Many many things can change in five years.
So, yes, verify with a more recent version as 2.76.

Back to
> dnsmasq: bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf
> bad option at line 11 of /etc/dnsmasq.d/dnsmasq.conf"
> Line 11: 'hostsfile=<PATH-OF-DIR>'

My first thought would be "file versus directory". But man page from git
says:

       --dhcp-hostsfile=<path>
              Read DHCP host information from the specified  file.  If  a
              directory  is  given,  then read all the files contained in
              that directory.

In other words a directory path is valid for --dhcp-hostsFILE

Could it be that the bad option is caused by bad content in the file(s).

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse