[Dnsmasq-discuss] What's this error in syslog mean?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Sep 5 21:45:26 UTC 2021

On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 10:34:19PM +0200, Geert Stappers via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 01:18:18PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 05, 2021 at 12:51:54PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > It's the calls to systemd-start-resolvconf and systemd-stop-resolvconf that are causing
> > > the error.  For some reason on the Pi it causes this error, but not on my xubuntu system.
> > >
> > > Looking further the /etc/init.d/dnsmasq file has been quite extensively revised between
> > > the older version on my Pi and the newer version on xubuntu, many of those revisions
> > > look as if they're protecting against empty parameters.
> > >
> > ... and copying the 2.84 version of /etc/init.d/dnsmasq over to the
> > Raspberry Pi has fixed the error.  (Yes, I know copying bits of one
> > version to another is not in general a good idea but this is just a
> > bash script so is unlikely to have dependencies etc.)
>
> Please be a better community member.  Tell more about your side of
> the story.  Share here the two versions of /etc/init.d/dnsmasq One
> version is "the Raspberry Pi version", the other "xubuntu".  Doing so
> makes it possible to compare the versions.  It will reveal what made
> the real difference.

I did say what versions I was running.  The version which causes the
problem is 2.80, the version that fixes it is 2.84.

A diff between the two versions shows a *lot* of changes but they're
all to do with quoting etc. and making sure that empty parameters
aren't causing problems.  There's no real change in logic that I can
see.

A typical change is:-

<       case "$RETVAL" in
---