[Dnsmasq-discuss] What's this error in syslog mean?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Sep 6 16:49:45 UTC 2021

On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 02:37:45PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 06, 2021 at 01:17:52PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> > > I don't think dnsmasq comes with init script for RPI.
> > > And I'm not sure anyone with RPI is reading this list (did someone reply so
> > > far?)
>
> On 06.09.21 12:51, Chris Green wrote:
> > It's part of the dnsmasq distribution on both Pi and Ubuntu and I
> > should think just about everywhere else:-
> >
> > chris at dns$ dpkg -L dnsmasq
>
> contents of dnsmasq packages across distributions is different than of
> dnsmasq source package.
>
> > I've posted the diff as an attachment, I don't really think it's very
> > edifying! :-)
>
> i prefer diff -u, often -ubBw which ignores space changes.

I prefer^Wrequest^Wrequested both versions of the file.
It will allows us to make the diff we prefer ...

> > < 	start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /run/dnsmasq/$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON -- \
> > < 		-x /run/dnsmasq/$NAME.pid \
> > < 	        ${MAILHOSTNAME:+ -m $MAILHOSTNAME} \
> > < 		${MAILTARGET:+ -t $MAILTARGET} \
> > >         -x /run/dnsmasq/${NAME}${INSTANCE:+.${INSTANCE}}.pid \
> > >         ${MAILHOSTNAME:+ -m ${MAILHOSTNAME}} \
> > >         ${MAILTARGET:+ -t ${MAILTARGET}} \
>
> any of these can cause differences if the variables contain whitespaces.
> similar with other variables across the scripts.

Yep. Here in mono-spaced font that clearly visible.

> You may look at your config file to find the culprit or run init script in
> verbose mode, if you dare:
>

> sh -x /etc/init.d/dnsmasq start

So far Best answer for 'Is there anything else I can do to get more diagnostics?'
as asked in https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2021q3/015519.html

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--