[Dnsmasq-discuss] What's this error in syslog mean?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Sep 5 12:01:54 UTC 2021

On 05.09.21 10:14, Chris Green wrote:
>I have looked at a new installation of dnsmasq on another Raspberry Pi
>and that does exactly the same thing.  A ps shows:-
>
>    dnsmasq    605     1  0 Sep04 ?        00:00:17 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -r /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf -7 /etc/dnsmasq.d,.dpkg-dist,.dpkg-old,.dpkg-new --local-service --trust-anchor=.,20326,8,2,e06d44b80b8f1d39a95c0b0d7c65d08458e880409bbc683457104237c7f8ec8d
>
>In syslog it seems to produce a "Too few arguments" error every time it's [re]started:-
[...]
>Same error reported on Stack Exchange about a year and a half ago:-
>
>    https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/106249/dnsmasq-error-too-few-arguments
>
>I'm going to try a dnsmasq installation on a non Raspberry Pi system and
>see what happens.

perhaps one of config options in any of your configuration files is missing
value.

this should help a bit:

  If I delete the conf file in /etc/dnsmasq.d/ and enter the options into dnsmasq.conf the "Too few arguments" error goes away. Why?

The commandline options above seem to be OK.
you don't need to delete any of those files, if you're able to look at
options in them if any lacks value.

2B|!2B, that's a question!