[Dnsmasq-discuss] What actually happens when dnsmasq is installed on a system running systemd (with systemd-resolved)?

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Wed Sep 29 15:07:43 UTC 2021

I cannot answer this for Ubuntu, but on Fedora installation of dnsmasq
does not disable anything. I think systemd-resolved it the default and
is enabled on default. Whereas dnsmasq is just a service, which has to
be enabled manually. Then systemd-resolved has to be disabled manually.
Then /etc/resolv.conf has to be modified to point to local dnsmasq. It
can be configured by Network Manager also by dns=dnsmasq in
NetworkManager.conf.

dnsmasq can run on the same system with systemd-resolved, if
bind-interfaces or bind-dynamic and interface is specified. But they
don't interact between themselves without manual configuration.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB